This blog will be mostly about investing, personal finance, and my journey to FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early).
I’m a big stock market enthusiast and have been investing “seriously” for 5+ years now. When I say seriously, I just mean, that I actually started putting real money into a non-retirement-related brokerage account.
Now don’t get me wrong, I started “investing” when I was 18 years old back in the early 2000s, but I had no idea what I was doing and I wasn’t familiar with websites like the Motley Fool and so I just blindly invested in stocks that I was interested in (mostly tech) or heard from friends or family about. I didn’t understand the concept of “buy and hold” and I definitely didn’t hold onto stocks for more than a few months at a time.
It wasn’t until 5-years ago when my wife and I finally paid off my 6-figure debt from business school (damn you high-interest rate loans!) that we started to put money into the stock market. We opened a Vanguard account and we bought our first index fund $VIMSX (mid-cap index fund). After a few months of consistently contributing to this index fund, I decided to allocate some of that money into tech stocks and the rest is history.
My portfolio returns vs. the S&P 500 are as follows:
|Year||My Portfolio||S&P 500||Difference|
Updated August 31, 2021:
I’m still learning more about investing every day, but I definitely have gotten more comfortable with volatility and leveraging margin (not to be confused with margin debt).
I’ve been fairly private about my investing for a number of years now, but I’ve found that investing has really had a big impact in my family’s journey to FIRE and I’d like to share my philosophy, perspective and provide insight to those that are interested in learning more about investing, personal finance and FIRE.
- I’ve been managing my own individual portfolio for the past 6+ years
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics from the University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
- Accounting Certificate from UCSD Extension
- MBA from Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management with a Marketing & Finance focus
- Prior to business school, I worked in insurance & consulting
- After business school, I’ve spent the past 10+ years working in some form of performance marketing in both B2B or B2C companies
- I currently work as the Vice President of Demand Generation at ShipBob, a global logistics platform that fulfills ecommerce orders.
I am not a financial advisor nor have I taken your personal situation into consideration. Don’t blindly follow my moves since I make changes all the time. All content and information on this website is strictly educational or for entertainment purposes and should not be construed as personal financial advice or financial recommendations. Do your own due diligence or consult a financial advisor.